AWFA-WFR Bridge Course
Take your Advanced Wilderness First Aid Certification to a Wilderness First Responder Certification! Designed for current AWFA certification holders to upgrade to the next level of training and certifications with SOLO Southeast. Meet your new training goals with this bridge course!
This course is designed for those who currently hold an Advanced Wilderness First Aid certification and want to upgrade to a Wilderness First Responder Certification. SOLO’s Wilderness First Responder (WFR) certification is the recognized industry standard for those who work as backcountry trip leaders, camp counselors, and students in outdoor recreational programs. The AWFA-WFR Bridge Course curriculum covers patient response assessment, musculoskeletal injuries, environmental problems, survival skills, soft tissue injuries, and medical emergencies.
This course is designed specifically to provide you with the tools to make critical medical and evacuation decisions in remote locations. The AWFA-WFR Bridge Course is divided between classroom-based learning and practical skills, case studies, and scenarios designed to challenge your decision-making abilities.
CPR certification is not required to take this class. WFR is a 3-year certification.
What You’ll Learn
- Musculoskeletal Injuries
- Soft Tissue Injuries
Skills You’ll Acquire
- Medical Decision Making
- Evacuation Decision Making
- Wilderness Survival Skills
What to Expect
This course takes place in NOC’s SOLO Classroom, participants should check in at 8AM and the course concludes at 5PM each day. Time will be divided between classroom-based learning and practical skills case studies and scenarios designed to challenge your decision making abilities.
|Aug 28-31, 2023||Bryson City, NC|
Before You Visit
- All necessary course equipment
- Experienced Certified Instructors
- Lodging & Meals are not provided but are available on NOC’s campus
NOC Provides the primary gear needed for each course.
Course participants should plan to have seasonally appropriate clothing as we will spend a significant amount of time outside. The following list is to supplement the clothing you will be wearing. If you have trouble locating some of these items please call us as we have a limited amount to loan.
Necessary Items (for All Classes)
- Backpack to put everything in (medium to large)
- Rain gear (tops and bottoms)
- Layers of clothing (for splinting exercises and to keep yourself warm during scenarios)
- Warm hat or sun hat
- Water bottles (at least 1 qt/litre)
- Some snacks
- Pen and notepad
- Wrist Watch (cell phone is not sufficient)
- Footwear appropriate to the terrain (closed toes, no flip flops)
- Insect repellent
(Optional for WFA, Required for AWFA, WFR, WEMT, WEMT Module)
- Old Sleeping bag or blanket
- Footwear you don’t mind getting wet
- Plastic tarp or groundsheet (min 6’X6’)
- Sleeping pad (ensolite or thermarest)
- Personal first aid kit (Band-Aids etc)
- Trekking poles (useful but not required)
- Students must be at least 16 years of age. All minors must be accompanied by an adult.
- Students must have a valid Advanced Wilderness First Aid and CPR Certification to take this course.
NOC is home to two onsite restaurants, and hours vary seasonally. View hours for River’s End Restaurant and Big Wesser. Snacks are available for purchase at the General Store.