Learn to Kayak
Build the foundations for whitewater kayaking in these two or five-day courses. New and aspiring whitewater kayakers will spend time learning new skills and practicing them on area lakes and rivers. No experience necessary!
Learn the necessary skills to paddle a whitewater kayak in Class I-II Whitewater! Whether you are moving from flatwater paddling or sea kayaking or have no experience in a boat at all, this class is the place to start your whitewater kayak journey! Begin each day learning and practicing techniques on the lake with your NOC Instructor. We then take it up a notch and put your skills to work on beginner-level rapids under the guidance of your instructor. If you are looking to build a basic foundation for strong skill development, this is where you want to be.
Five-day courses not only give you more practice time on the water, but you’ll also have additional opportunities to try out the latest boat designs to determine what type fits your paddling style and body the best.
What You’ll Learn
- Boat Design
- Whitewater Gear & Proper Fit
- River Feature Terminology
- River Safety
Skills You’ll Acquire
- Forward & Reverse Paddling
- Moving your Boat Sideways
- Balancing & Edging
- Exiting a Capsized Boat
- Rolling Techniques
What to Expect
Guests will start by getting perfectly outfitted with a boat and all the necessary gear and then head to a calm lake to learn basic strokes, boat control, and safety maneuvers. After lunch, you will paddle an appropriate river and put your newly acquired skills to use!
Each day will be split between skills development on area lakes and rivers and enjoying the thrills of the rapids on one of our home whitewater runs.
- All necessary specialty whitewater equipment
- Lunch & In-Course Transportation
- Access to NOC’s extensive fleet of instruction boats for in-clinic use
- NOC’s highly trained, ACA certified instruction
NOC Provides the primary gear needed for each course including boats, paddles, PFD’s, helmets, spray skirts, semi-dry tops, wetsuit bottoms, and booties. Exclusive discounts are available for course participants at the Outfitter’s Store.
Necessary Items (for All Courses)
- Water shoes or old sneakers
- Synthetic T-shirts
- Sunscreen/lip balm
- Towel and change of clothes each day
- Reusable water bottle
- Clothing and personal items
- Rain gear
- Synthetic long underwear
- Light fleece hoodie/pullover
- Nose clips
- Eyeglass strap
- Hat or visor
- Earplugs (if sensitive to water)
Participants must be 18 years or older.
Beginner courses appropriate for those who have:
- Never paddled a watercraft on a lake or moving water.
- Experience in a flatwater kayak or sea kayak and want to try whitewater kayaking.
- Experience in a whitewater kayak or canoe.
- The ability to get on and off or in and out of a paddle craft independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance.
- No kayak roll or are working on a solid flatwater roll.
Lunch is included in the course fee. Additional meals, snacks, and beverages can be purchased at NOC’s two onsite restaurants or the General Store.
Discounts available at NOC lodging and restaurants.
Really great experience. It’s clear the NOC takes instruction seriously and brings in the best instructors. I’ll definitely recommend this program to others and look forward to many returns!