Women’s Wilderness Weekend
This all-female weekend will include hands-on learning of Wilderness Survival Skills, Wilderness First Aid and CPR certification in addition to some fireside time one night.
Women’s Wilderness Weekend is a fun and interactive event where we will learn the fundamental basics for survival, get hands-on in the wilderness, and spend quality time in the company of experienced teachers and like-minded women. The weekend includes hands-on education, Wilderness First Aid Certification, CPR, and wilderness survival skills training in addition to yoga one morning and time to hang out by the firepit one evening.
What You'll Learn
- Knife Anatomy & Safety
- Essential Knots
- Shelter Building
- Water Collecting
- Patient Assessment
- Treatment of Life-Threatening Conditions
- Management of Environmental Hazards
- Adult/Child/Infant CPR and AED
What to Expect
Participants should arrive by 8:00am on Friday at the SOLO Southeast Classroom on NOC’s main campus in Bryson City, NC. The conclusion of each day will depend on the group and activities. Women’s weekend will include an early morning yoga session and a fireside gathering one evening for anyone interested in attending. Students will observe and participate in both indoor and outdoor scenarios, so please dress appropriately for the season.
Women's Wilderness Weekend
|Oct 13-15, 2023||Bryson City, NC|
- Supplemental gear and equipment
- All course materials
- Professionally trained instructors
- Wilderness First Aid Certification
- CPR Certification
This is a recommended gear list but is not required. SOLO has some gear available for the course. We encourage you to bring your own gear and to consider bringing the gear that you would likely carry with you on a typical outing during one of your preferred activities. Course participants should plan to have seasonally appropriate clothing as we will spend a significant amount of time outside. The following list is to supplement the clothing you will be wearing. If you have trouble locating some of these items please call us as we have a limited amount to loan.
- Backpack to put everything in (medium to large)
- Rain gear (tops and bottoms)
- Warm layers of clothing
- Warm hat or sun hat
- Close-toed Shoes
- Wrist Watch (cell phone is not sufficient)
- Pen and notepad
- Sleeping bag or blanket
- Sleeping pad (foam or inflatable)
- Small tarp, rain fly, or groundsheet
- Fixed-blade knife (NO folding knives)
- Water bottles (at least 1 quart)
- Sunscreen & Insect repellent
Optional Additional items
- Camp chair for fireside sittin’
- Trekking poles (useful but not required)
Students must be at least 16 years of age. All attendees under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
NOC offers discounts on lodging to Bryson City SOLO Course Participants. This program also has discounted shared Basecamp Lodging available as an add-on Thursday through Saturday nights, availble when booking.