Swiftwater Rescue for Whitewater Paddlers
Gain the skills and confidence needed in Swiftwater rescue situations. NOC’s commitment to high quality education is top in the industry. Our ACA certified instructors have years of experience and take our courses beyond the requirements to best prepare students to become instructors, guides, and skilled in swiftwater situations.
Taught here at NOC’s famous Nantahala River campus, courses are ideal for paddling enthusiasts, professional first responders, and professional river guides.
Geared toward the modern-day river runner, we have cherry-picked more progressive and advanced skills deemed necessary for today’s paddler while meeting and exceeding all ACA Level 4 Swiftwater Rescue Skills Course. NOC instructors go a step further teaching participants how to manage realistic river rescue situations that a paddler might experience using techniques performed with minimal equipment.
Skills You’ll Learn and Develop
- How to manage realistic river rescue situations that a paddler might experience using techniques performed with minimal equipment
- This course focuses on progressive and advanced rescue skills while meeting and exceeding all ACA Level 4 Swiftwater Rescue criteria.
What to Expect
This course is offered in a group setting teaching participants how to manage real life river rescue situations that a paddler might experience using minimal equipment. The group and individuals will get real life scenarios to work through, with all instruction and practice taking place on the Nantahala River.
|Jun 2-3, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Jun 18-19, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Jul 6-7, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Jul 23-24, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Aug 6-7, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Aug 25-26, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Sep 1-2, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Sep 17-18, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Oct 1-2, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
|Oct 20-21, 2022||Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
NOC provides all course participants with the following:
- Gear Bag, Paddling Jacket, Wetsuit, Booties, Webbing and Prusiks
- In-Course Transportation
- NOC’s Highly-Trained, ACA Certified Instruction
Boats (kayaks, canoes, rafts, etc.) will not be used for this program.
NOC provides all course participants with the following gear: gear bag, paddling jacket, wetsuit and booties, webbing, and prusiks. Participants are required to bring all other gear and equipment. Exclusive discounts are available for course participants at the Outfitter’s Store.
- Lunch (or money to purchase lunch)
- Face Mask or Cloth Face Covering
- Rescue Personal Flotation Device* or Standard PFD*
- Throw Bag/Rope
- 2 Locking Carabiners
- Dry Suit (recommended, but not required)
- Synthetic T-Shirts
- Sunscreen/Lip Balm
- Towel and Change of Clothes each day
- Reusable Water Bottle
- Clothing and Personal Items
- Synthetic Long Underwear
- Light Fleece Hoodie/Pullover
- Nose Clips
- Eyeglass Strap
- Hat or Visor
- Ear Plugs (if sensitive to water)
*NOC has some on-hand to borrow if needed
Because of the intensity of this course, participants should consider the following prerequisites:
- Participants must be 14 years or older and accompanied by an adult if under 18.
- Be in good physical condition – this is an active course and participants will be swimming.
- Be proficient in self-rescue and swimming in Class II Whitewater.
- Be familiar with throwing and repacking rope. Please practice before your course begins.
- Have a solid understanding of river reading and hydrology.
Be familiar with the following knots prior to the course:
- Figure Eight
- Figure Eight Double Loop
- Figure Eight Follow Loop
- Water Knot
- Double Fisherman
Meals, snacks, and beverages can be purchased at NOC’s two onsite restaurants or the General Store. Exclusive discounts are available for course participants.