ACA Level 4 Swiftwater Rescue Course
Duration: 2 Days
Price Per Person: $260
Dates: April - October
Location: Bryson City, NC
Geared toward this modern day river runner, this course focuses on progressive and advanced skills while satisfying all ACA L4 requirements. We have taken the requirements a step further - participants will learn to manage realistic river rescue situations that a paddler might experience using techniques performed with minimal equipment.
Because of the intensity of this course, participants should consider the following prerequisites:
- Be in good physical condition - this is an active course and participants will be swimming.
- Be proficient in self-rescue and swimming in Class II Whitewater.
- Familiar with throwing and repacking rope. Please practice before your course begins.
- Capable in craft of choice in Class III Whitewater.
- Solid understanding of river reading and hydrology.
- Familiar with the following knots prior to the course:
- Figure Eight
- Figure Eight Double Loop
- Figure Eight Follow Loop
- Water Knot
- Double Fisherman
|April - October||NOC - Bryson City, NC||Book Now|
NOC's 500-acre adventure center is located at the intersection of the Nantahala River and Appalachian Trail.
Guest amenities include:
- Outdoor recreation activities including rafting, kayaking, zip lines, and mountain biking
- Three restaurants, including two on the riverfront
- Four retail stores, including NOC's flagship Outfitter's Store
- Rustic cabin and bunkhouse lodging for over 200
- Terminus for the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad
- One mile of Lake Fontana frontage with lake kayak and SUP program
- Host to over 30 annual events, from world championships to music festivals
Nantahala Outdoor Center's main campus, the Nantahala River Outpost is located in far Western North Carolina on US Highway 19. 12 miles from Bryson City and on the south side of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, the outpost is nestled in the Nantahala Gorge.
From Asheville, NC: Take I-40 West towards Knoxville, TN. Take exit 27 onto US 74 West towards Waynesville. Stay on 74 West, the outpost is 50 miles down this road. 8 miles past Bryson City, the 4-lane will split into two 2-lane roads. Stay on 74, the left lane. You will enter the Nantahala Gorge and after 5-miles you see the Nantahala River and NOC's Nantahala Outpost.
From Gatlinburg, TN: Take 441 South through the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and through Cherokee. Just past Cherokee, get on 74 West. After 15 miles, the road will split into two 2-lane roads. Stay on 74 W, the left lane, and continue the 5-milts to the NOC Nantahala Outpost.
From East Atlanta: Take I-85 North to I-985 North. At Gainesville, take 365 North to 441 North. Just past Dillsboro, NC, 441 merges with US 74. 8 miles past Bryson City, the 4-lane splits into two 2-lane roads. Stay on 74, the left lane. Continue 5-miles and arrive at the NOC Nantahala Outpost.
From West Atlanta: Take I-75 North to I-575 North. I-575 becomes State Hwy 5, and then Hwy 76. Stay on this road until Blue Ridge, GA where you turn left onto Hwy 60 towards Mineral Bluff, GA. In Mineral Bluff, turn right onto Hwy 60 Spur. Follow it into North Carolina to US 74 East, turning right towards Murphy and Andrews when the road ends. Stay on 74 East, NOC's Nantahala Outpost is 20-miles past Andrews. You will follow the Nantahala River for the last 8-miles.
From Chattanooga, TN: Take I-75 North towards Cleveland, TN. Take the 1st Cleveland exit, the US 64 Bypass Exit. Go 6-miles and take the Ocoee Exit onto US 64 East towards Murphy, NC. In Murphy the road number changes to US 74. Stay on 74 East, NOC's Nantahala Outpost is 20-miles past Andrews. You will follow the Nantahala River for the last 8-miles.