Slicey Boat Clinic
A fun day on the Nantahala River learning retro moves like stern squirts and rock splats and practice on key spots of the river with an experienced instructor. Try the latest in modern and throwback boats from top brands like Pyranha, Dagger, and Jackson Kayak.
Let’s get old school! Join NOC’s Paddling School on the Nantahala River for our limited edition Slicey Boat Clinic. Learn and practice the retro moves that pre-dated modern freestyle – skills that have been made popular again by a range of new and rebooted classic boats. By the end of the clinic, you’ll be well on your way to throwing stern squirts and rock splats, and we’ll show you the best places to perfect your newly learned skills on the Nantahala. Bring your own boat or try the latest in modern and throwback offerings from NOC’s Paddling School including boats from Pyranha, Dagger, and Jackson Kayak.
What You’ll Learn
- Retro moves that pre-dated modern freestyle
- Best practices for getting vertical on the bow and/or stern of a kayak
- Key locations on the Nantahala to practice and perfect your old school moves
Skills You’ll Acquire
- How to stall
- Rock splat
- Cartwheel for beginners
What to Expect
After checking in, meet your instructor and gear up for a day on the water! The group will start on the Nantahala River covering basics. After a riverside lunch, spend the rest of the afternoon learning and practicing new moves on key spots of the river! The entire clinic will last approximately 6-7 hours.
- In-Course Transportation
- Access to NOC’s extensive fleet of instruction boats for in-clinic use, including most modern slicey boats
- NOC’s highly trained, ACA certified instruction
NOC provides access to our extensive fleet of instruction boats. Participants will need to provide all other necessary whitewater kayaking equipment.
- Packed Lunch
- Water shoes or old sneakers
- Synthetic T-shirt
- Sunscreen/lip balm
- Towel and change of clothes each day
- Reusable water bottle
- Clothing and personal items
- Rain gear
- Synthetic long underwear
- Light fleece hoodie/pullover
- Nose clips
- Eyeglass strap
- Hat or visor
- Earplugs (if sensitive to water)
This clinic is appropriate for experienced kayakers who:
- Currently, paddle whitewater in a kayak
- Can competently navigate Class II rapids
- Have a strong flatwater roll, and combat roll in Class II whitewater
Participants must be 16 years or older. Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
This course does not include lunch. We ask that all participants bring a packed lunch.