Whitewater Canoe Courses
Learn how to paddle whitewater in a canoe or improve your techniques in these two or five-day courses. Professionally trained instructors tailor the experience to fit the needs of the group, offering skill development and practice time on area lakes and rivers.
This course is for single-bladers of all skill levels! After an initial goal discussion and skill assessment, instructors will tailor the experience to the needs of the group. Each day will be spent with mornings on the lake learning correct techniques, and afternoons on a river practicing skills on level-appropriate rapids with NOC instructor guidance and support. Not only will paddlers solidify strong foundations, they will have a chance to hone specific skills like off-side ferrying, bracing, and edging.
What You’ll Learn
Develop an understanding of:
- Boat design
- Required gear and proper fit
- River terminology
- River safety
Skills You’ll Acquire
- On-side and off-side paddle strokes
- Moving your boat sideways
- Balancing and intentionally leaning (or edging) your boat
- Exiting from a capsized boat
What to Expect
Guests will start by getting perfectly outfitted with a boat and all the necessary gear and head to an area lake or river to work on techniques.
The extended five-day courses will allow for paddlers to learn techniques and practice them running local rivers.
- All necessary specialty whitewater equipment
- Lunch & In-Course Transportation
- Access to NOC’s extensive fleet of instruction boats for in-clinic use
- NOC’s highly trained, ACA certified instruction
NOC Provides the primary gear needed for each course including boats, paddles, PFD’s, helmets, spray skirts, semi-dry tops, wetsuit bottoms, and booties. Exclusive discounts are available for course participants at the Outfitter’s Store.
Necessary Items (for All Courses)
- Water shoes or old sneakers
- Synthetic T-shirts
- Sunscreen/lip balm
- Towel and change of clothes each day
- Reusable water bottle
- Clothing and personal items
- Rain gear
- Synthetic long underwear
- Light fleece hoodie/pullover
- Nose clips
- Eyeglass strap
- Hat or visor
- Earplugs (if sensitive to water)
Participants must be 18 years or older.
Lunch is included in the course fee. Additional meals, snacks, and beverages can be purchased at NOC’s two onsite restaurants or the General Store.
Discounts available at NOC lodging and restaurants.