Discover the natural flora and fauna in the Nantahala Gorge on this short but informative hike! Smell, discover, and even taste traditional herbs – identify plants, and discuss Leave No Trace practices.
On this hike you will wander through trails in the Nantahala National Forest, discovering hidden sights, sounds, and treasures along the way! Keep your eyes peeled for hawks, salamanders, and even the occasional deer as you meander through the forest. Learn about the native plants in the woods – from trillium to honeysuckle and mountain laurel. Your knowledgeable guide will be pointing all of these out to you along the way.
- Learn about native flora in the Nantahala National Forest.
- Discover gorgeous mountain scenery.
- Build camaraderie while you take on this hike as a group.
What to Expect
Groups will check in with the Group Coordinator upon arrival to Nantahala Outdoor Center. Once your group has checked in, you will review your pre-planned schedule and be oriented to the NOC campus. NOC’s Group Coordinator will be available to help answer any questions during your trip.
This hike will be lead by an expert nature guide from NOC.
- Please bring 16 ounces of water per participant
- Wear sturdy walking or hiking shoes
- Dress appropriate for current weather conditions and consider packing rain gear
- We recommend a day pack for carrying items
Participants must be 6 years old and up.
Enjoy riverside dining at one of our two locations conveniently located right on campus. River’s End Restaurant offers American-style cuisine with pizza, sandwiches, salads and more. Big Wesser features quick Southern fare like burgers and barbeque. Both have a great selection of beer, wine, and cocktails.
Additional snacks and drinks are available for purchase at the Outfitter’s Store or the General Store.