Chattahoochee River-Intro to Whitewater Kayaking Course
Take your paddling skills to the next level with an Intro to Kayaking Course. NOC highly trained instructors will teach beginners basic paddling and maneuver skills perfect for individuals, families, or groups.
This is the perfect introductory course for those looking to explore whitewater kayaking! NOC’s Paddling School instructors have 40+ years of experience dedicated to creating the best learning environment for your first time in a kayak.
This full-day course includes the highest quality introduction to whitewater kayaking instruction. A great experience for families with kids 13 years old and up with a participating adult, each person is provided with professional instruction and high-quality gear.
Participants must be at least 8 years old. All minors (17 and under) require the presence of a participating adult for this program. This course requires moderate physical activity and participants need to have the ability to swim from a capsized boat to shore (while wearing a PFD).
What You’ll Learn:
- Boat Design
- Whitewater Gear & Proper Fit
- River Feature Terminology
- Boat Safety
- Forward & Reverse Paddling
- Moving your Boat Sideways
- Balancing & Edging
- Safely Exiting a Capsized Boat
Call 828.488.7249 for more information or to register by phone.
- Perfect for families and groups to try out a new sport with guidance from renowned instructors.
- Ideal for beginners who want to learn the technical aspects of paddling and basic skills for whitewater.
- A full day of instruction with lunch, led by professionally trained NOC Paddling School instructors.
- NOC provides custom kayaking courses and private instruction for individuals and groups of any size.
- For experienced paddlers looking for more challenging courses, NOC’s Paddling School location in Bryson City offers beginner to advanced opportunities.
What to Expect
Guests will start by getting outfitted with the latest in whitewater paddling gear before heading to a calm stretch of the Chattahoochee River to learn basic strokes, boat control, and safety maneuvers. After a delicious riverside lunch, you will head to an appropriate section of river to put your new skills to use! This course emphasizes scenery, companionship, and fun in whitewater paddling. The course will take approximately 7 hours including time on the water, gear selection, shuttles, and lunch.
See All Available Dates
- All necessary specialty whitewater equipment
- Lunch & In-Course Transportation
- Access to NOC’s extensive fleet of instruction boats for in-clinic use
- NOC’s highly trained, ACA certified instruction
NOC provides the primary gear needed for each course, including specialty boats, paddles, PFDs, helmets and spray skirts.
Participants will need to provide individual gear outlined below.
Necessary Items (for All Courses)
- Shorts or Swimwear
- Water Shoes or old sneakers
- Synthetic T-Shirts
- Sunscreen/Lip Balm
- Towel and Change of Clothes
- Reusable Water Bottle
- Clothing and Personal Items
- Rain Gear
- Synthetic Long Underwear
- Light Fleece Hoodie/Pullover
- Nose Clips
- Sunglasses and Eyeglass Strap
- Hat or Visor
- Ear Plugs
Participants must be at least 13 years old. All minors (17 and under) require the presence of participating adult for this program.
Lunch is included in the course fee. Participants are encouraged to bring additional snacks and beverages as needed.